Expensive not necessarily Effective!
In PBL Auctions 2016, all Teams spent around~0.24–0.27 Million dollars.
– Delhi Acers spending the least at $0.24 M. The star pair for Delhi Acers is the Men’s Doubles Team Koo Keat Kien & Tan Boon Heong. They have a good chemistry between them as they already play together for Malaysia and a doubles ranking of 18. Likely that they have a definite match winner here. Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia is the next prominent buy of the auction for Delhi. But they don’t have any crowd pullers in their team. Ajay Jayaram and P C Thulsi are also capable of good contribution the team.
– Bengaluru TopGuns didn’t spend too much either ~$0.25M. They spent a third of this on Srikanth Kidambi who is likely to win 4/5 matches based on the current performance in the league stage. They also have a strong mixed doubles team of Joachim Fischer Nielsen, who is currently ranked number 4 in mixed doubles &and Indian doubles specialist Ashwini Ponnappa, which can be a lethal combination.
– Chennai Smashers again spent 36% of its $0.26M kitty on PV Sindhu who is again likely to win 4/5 ties. They have a reasonably strong mixed doubles team with Chris Adcock and Sikki Reddy.
– Hyderabad Hunters also spend 38% on Lee Chong Wei — I’m sure he feels at home in India, just the way Federer does in Wimbledon. In addition they have strong Men’s Doubles team of Kido and Mongensen, strong Mixed Doubles pair of Indian ace Jwala Gutta and Kido (likely). With P Kashyap also in the team, they may have just got the side which can smash all the way. Watch out for Siril Varma as he might be a surprise package. With 2 strong Men’s Singles players, they stand a good chance for winning PBL.
Read More: Does age matter in Kabaddi? |
– Mumbai Rockets has gone about its team in a more balanced manner (not sure if it is ideal, though). Problem is badminton is an individual sport — although playing multiple games might just edge other teams out. Their most expensive player is H S Prannoy at 47000$. They have Mathias Boe and Vladimir Ivanov who performed beyond expectations last year. They don’t have a star player though!
– Awadhe Warriors, again 37% on super star Saina Nehwal. Giving them tons of media attention and newspaper coverage. Leaving little money for all else. Again reasonably strong mixed doubles team with Christina Pederson.