Chikungunya Fever : Karnataka worst affected State
Aedes Aegypti mosquito
The Aedes Aegypti mosquito is the notorious transmitter of the deadly dengue, chikungunya, zika and yellow fever virus. It can be recognized by the white markings on its legs and thorax. After originating in Africa it have worked it way all over the world in tropical and sub-tropical regions.
Read More about Aedes Aegypti mosquito
We looked at the absolute cases [left] of Chikugunya [as reported http://nvbdcp.gov.in/chik-cd.html] and cases as a percentage of the State population [right]. The situation is most severe in
- Karnataka [15 persons in every 1 Lakh affected]
- Goa [14 persons in every 1 Lakh]
- Delhi [10 in every 1 Lakh]: The sudden rise of the virus in the Capital is simply shocking. There has been a significant fall in the Dengue numbers and huge rise Chikungunya numbers [image below].
There could be several reasons for this
- The Western Ghats in Goa/Karnataka huge breeding ground for mosquitoes especially in the monsoon
- There are more PHCs, health centres in Delhi, Goa, Karnataka – thus awareness and reporting is also higher.
- There is a rise of construction / real estate development (mis) in these places especially Delhi and Bangalore. This leads to plenty of easy breeding grounds for the mosquitoes.
READ MORE: Dengue : Coastal States hit | Statewise Policies, not Rainfall Drive Farmer Suicides in India
2015-2016 seen in a rise in Chikungunya cases
* 2016 number an estimate based on numbers reported till Sept 18, 2016